How to Fix a Leather Purse Strap

This post has been a long time in coming, I don’t own a lot of purses because I want the ones I do have to be good quality and to last a while. I used to buy really inexpensive purses,but after having to replace them multiple times a year I decided that I would invest in a real leather purse so that it would hold up better. So, to the clearance section of the Coach outlet store I went. I found this green purse, and I used it exclusively for over 2 years. The only thing that started to wear out was the edging on the strap which I would say shows the good quality. Then came the biggest problem of all, what ist that edging stuff made out of? What is it called? How come NO ONE has a tutorial on how to fix it?! I literally searched the most random websites trying to figure this out. I eventually found places that would replace the straps but couldn’t guarantee the color matching, and they charged over $100 which is how much I paid in the first place. So, I just kept wearing the purse like that and searching.

Eventually, I found a leather company that had a few products that looked promising and so I decided to give it a try since it couldn’t make my purse any worse than it already was.

DSC_8376So first I took my purse out of storage since Grant got me a new one for Christmas.

DSC_8378Next you can see how it was starting to get frayed; I would say this wasn’t bad enough to not still use the purse,but it really was starting to get on my nerves.

DSC_8379Here you can see how cracked and chipped the edging looks. The edging on leather or Faux leather purses can be all sorts of colors,but the two I found available for purchase were the black and brown. Mine is brown as you can see, and my new purse also has the brown edging which is nice if the edging on that one even starts to come off eventually.

DSC_8381So, the edging product I found is called Edge Kote, and I bought mine from Amazon which cost me including shipping and tax $9.92,but there are also leather suppliers who carry it.

Tandy Leather Fiebings Brown Edge Kote 2226-01

DSC_8382I was hoping this wasn’t money wasted,but I figured $10 was a small price to pay for an almost new looking purse if it worked. Here you can see what other items this can be used on.

DSC_8383Also, my strap was fraying but not pulling apart, if a strap of yours is, this glue works for almost anything. I would use this with a Q-Tip to glue the pieces together before working on the edging.

E-6000 Med Visc 3.7-Ounce Auto/Industrial Carded Adhesive

DSC_8386Next thing I did was to remove all of the pieces of left over and cracked edging. I pulled most of it off with my fingers,but I also sanded off a few parts here and there.

DSC_8389Then trim all of the frayed fly away pieces, don’t worry about it being perfectly smooth because I will show you how to fix that later.

DSC_8390I used Q-tips for this,but the directions say you can use a clean paint brush or wooden dowel with a rounded wooden tip. I didn’t want to ruin a brush or buy this special leather dowel so I made due with Q-Tips.

DSC_8391I first used what was in the cap, and then dipped straight from a bottle. At first, I would lay the Q-Tip on a paper towel,but it bleeds through really fast so a thick magazine was a better choice.

DSC_8393Once the Q-Tip is slightly saturated, gently wipe on one layer of the Kote. Once everything is covered let it dry for at least 10 mins until it is dry to the touch.

DSC_8404The first few coats might leave it still looking like the leather underneath, but just keep doing coats and letting it dry.

DSC_8406To get to this point, I was at about 5 coats.

DSC_8408It was finally getting to the thickness that I wanted so it matched the rest of the edging,but here you can see the uneven bumps from below are still showing up, and it wasn’t smooth to the touch.

DSC_8413So, I took a fine grit sandpaper and smoothed off all of the bumps until it was level and smooth.

DSC_8415Then I did one last coat, so 6 worked perfectly for my purse and let it dry.

DSC_8417So, here you can see one side of the strap is done!

DSC_8418I didn’t want to worry about either side getting smudged so I did one edge at a time,but I am sure you could rig a setup where the strap is held so both sides can be done at the same time.

DSC_8419Now, it was time to start the second side.

DSC_8425So, it starts again with a rough look and after enough coats, a little bit of sanding, and a final coat,and it will really look great!

DSC_8430Here you can see both sides of the strap done.

DSC_8431The directions said if you want the edging really shiny, just rub with your finger to give it extra shine.

DSC_8429The final product!

One last thing I wanted to mention was that, a few readers have mentioned that this Edge Kote is coming off when wet on their hands. If you want to make sure and waterproof the Edge Kote, us this Tan Kote which is a leather sealer to make it water proof and is made by the same company.  Or if you prefer an acrylic matte finisher, you can use THIS product.

Also, a lot of Faux leather pures also have coating like this on the edges. I had a Guess purse that I threw away because the straps were looking so bad; Sad that I could have easily fixed it. I have a feeling this bottle will last forever! After doing this whole project, I think side the bottle the liquid line when down one centimeter maybe two.

I thought this difference was phenomenal for $10, and am SOO glad that I attempted it! My purse looks as good as new. Have you done anything like this before? I hope this helps anyone who has been having the same issues as me!

One reader, Tammy, was kind enough to share that if you have a coach purse, they will fix it for $20. I have included the links below.

You may also like...

92 Responses

1. Mikabonita says:

Omg thank you for your blog. Peeling straps on leather purses have always been a nuisance but I’m glad that there’s an easy diy fix to it. Now I can keep my leather purses forever!

2. Summer says:

Omg thank you so much!!!! I thought all hope was lost on my mcm hobo!!!!!

3. Kaleem dousan says:

where i can find this edge finisher, can you give me the link where i can order it directly?

4. I am having the exact same issue on multiple purses and they refuse to fix it. They changed their corporate policy about a month ago and they are not longer fixing the defective straps. It’s very unacceptable customer service.

• Melissa says:

Totally agree. A strap should not be hard to them to fix, especially on a $100+ bag. May have to reconsider my brand loyalty since they have changed their customer loyalty.

5. Lola M says:

Thank you.

6. Becky says:

Did you peel off all the edging or just the parts that were cracked?

• jrwarfield says:

I peeled off all of the areas that were cracked first and any lose areas, Then I sanded it to there was an even slope from no edging to the existing edging.

7. joyce says:

Thank you for the post.

I have a black bag that has the same problem….I peeled the plastic off and used a black Sharpie to color in the bare white areas. No fraying though…if that happens, I’ll use the Kote.

Did your Kote bleed a little onto the green leather?

My older Coach bags are still beautiful. the leather is thick, yet pliable.

• jrwarfield says:

Joyce, I didn’t have any issues with bleeding,but there were a few spots where I got kote on the green leather,but that was user error not the actual product bleeding. Let me know if you have any other questions.

8. shbark says:

Thank you so much for sharing. I have always wondered how to fix these type of strap problems, which are all too common.

9. Ann says:

Oh lord Thank you so much great Idea.

10. Melissa says:

Thanks for the post, i will try it. Have this exact problem with a Coach purse, send it in and they would not fix it. They sent to back with a 10% another purchase coupon.

11. Muriel says:

What a Great DIY for fixing our much needed purses. I was thinking on maybe using painters tape on the part of the strap to ensure no bleeding of the product. Just an idea! Thanks

12. Aryn Sullivan says:

Hi, I just wanted to ask if this actually helps prevent the strap from fraying again. When I cut off all of the frayed edges, it looks just as bad if not worse shortly after. So I was hoping adding the Edge Kote would actually help prevent it from fraying again.

• jrwarfield says:

Once the Kote has been applied, it should seal off the raw edges again. Just like it was when you bought it. So, if done well, it should keep your bag from fraying.

13. Leslie says:

Thanks so much… I actually just took my Sky Blue 1year old $250 Michael Kors bag to a repair shop and the man said it was paint and he couldn’t fix it. I’m going to be ordering this; but I’m concerned about color. I just bought a pink coach bag and the coating on the strap edges also have this – I’m not sure if it’s brown or black. I thought it was more charcoal grey but looking at the top edging of the purse it may be brown? Is the brown sort of a muted gray brown? Thanks.

14. christina says:

This post was a blessing….I’ve been looking all over for a diy fix, because just like you said all of the leather repair places want to charge you just as much as the purse costs.

15. Donna says:

Great video. What I was looking for. I am going try to figure a way to put the kote to make it more even so that maybe I won’t have to repeat the kote so many times and sand it. Surely there’s a way.

16. car says:

great article! they charge a lot of money for these coach and micheal kors(kate spade too!) bags and when it comes down to it…they are made in china.i have never had these quality issues with the made in france or italy bags i treasure. micheal kors bags are not even interesting designwise,its all hype. i have a makowski bag with similar edging issues ,i used a black sharpie but it hasn’t frayed. anyway luck to all!

17. Barbara Boyle says:

I returned my Coach purse to have the edges repaired. I paid the $20 and shipped it off from my local Coach store. 2 months later, the purse was shipped back (NOT INSURED) and left on my door step (while I was at work). When I got home, the package had been stolen- and since it was not insured, Coach said all they could do was refund my purchase price. Well- I got this one at a deep discount since my daughter was an employee- and by the time this happened, she was not an employee. Further- they said THEY DO NOT REPAIR THE EDGES. So it was all for nothing. I was totally disappointed with this customer service! They advise us to insure it when shipping it to them, but do not do the same when returning it. Relatively happy ending. My husband found my stolen purse for sale on Craigslist and got it back- without paying for it. Police did not even try to catch the people responsible.

• jrwarfield says:

Wow what an ordeal! I’m glad you got your purse back, and that this tutorial can hopefully help you fix your purse edges.

1. November 28, 2014

[…] way and use nail polish.  Neither really sounded that appealing so after a Google search, I found a blog post that helped direct […]

2. December 31, 2014